There may be only a couple months left of winter but it’s never too late to start saving money. There are plenty of ways for you to save money and energy as you battle through the rest of this winter. Some of the things that you can do:
To save energy:
- When and where possible, turn down or even off the heat when you are no longer in the office. (keep in mind frozen water pipes)
- Lower the water heater temperature to 120 degrees and place water restrictors on faucets in the office.
- Keep shades closed at night so that heat will stay in and open them during the day in order to use free solar heat.
- Make sure that all outer windows and doors are fully closed.
- Keep a temperature around 68 degrees on your thermostat as that is the most efficient temperature.
- Make sure that all parts of the buildings are properly sealed so that no cold air gets in or hot air out.
- It is also a good idea to buy an electronic thermostat that will keep temperature at an optimum temperature when the building is occupied. E.g., reduce the temp at night and bring it back up before we’re due to arrive.
- Reduce heat in all unoccupied areas and keep doors closed off to that area to reduce costs.
For company vehicles:
- Schedule oil and filter changes and other recommended maintenance. You may be able to avoid mechanical emergencies.
- Check tire pressure of your vehicle because under inflated tires decrease your fuel efficiency.
- If you are planning to buy a new vehicle or add one to your fleet, select a small car in order to be more fuel efficient.
Plan ahead. Use this time to discover energy losses in your office. Next spring you will be able to make changes to seal and eliminate losses in heated/air conditioned air.
There is no reason to not save money for your company.